Welcome to Northern Home Education Centre! We are here to assist parents in their choice to educate their child(ren) at home. Our goal is to create a quality educational environment that meets the individual needs of each student and family.
While our main office is located in La Crete, we serve students throughout the Fort Vermilion School Division jurisdiction. This includes the urban and rural communities of Rainbow Lake, High Level, Meander River, Zama, Rocky Lane, Fort Vermilion, Blumenort, La Crete, Buffalo Head Prairie, and Blue Hills.
NHEC takes a hands-on approach and is the only program in Alberta that not only recognizes the importance of a socially connected community but also facilitates that engagement. Families enrolled with NHEC benefit from high levels of support and involvement from the school division.
There are many advantages to homeschooling your child(ren) through Northern Home Education Centre:
- Parents/guardians have full control over the curriculum. Follow the Alberta grade level curriculum, a home education program of your choice or a blended program.
- A flexible schedule, independent of the traditional school year, that works for the unique needs and lifestyle of each family. Students learn at their own pace and current learning level.
- Access to funding for instructional materials, resources or other learning expenses. Reimbursements are subject to approval and can include things like consumables (ie. paper, pens), textbooks and curriculum materials, music lessons/instruments, and sports equipment.
- An active and engaged homeschooling community in our region who regularly get together for group activities. NHEC social events include activities like bowling, family camping, baking cookies, gym nights, skating and softball games.
- New homeschooling families can be matched with ‘veterans’ who act as mentors. Parents/guardians may also attend groups where families meet and share tips, offering suggestions on strategies and curriculum materials they’ve found helpful. A great resource!
Mr. Chad Fyke, Principal
Miss Rachel Neufeld, Secretary/Liaison
"When one teaches, two learn."
~ Robert Heinlein
Programs and Services
We are pleased to offer blended programming for Grades 1-8 in Language Arts and Math. Contact our office to discuss these options and to determine if this would be a good fit for your children.